Chinese New Year is just a few days away and we’re so excited to get the festivities going. Aside from the much anticipated new year reunion dinners, we’re also looking forward to devouring all the decadent CNY goodies. From pineapple tarts, kuih bangkits, salted egg fish skin and arrowhead chips, we’re excited to enjoy all the goodies (but probably not the calories.)
Our personal favorites are definitely the Kuih Kapit aka Love Letters. Today, we will be sharing the recipe to make ultra-crispy kuih kapit, also known as love letter biscuits or crispy coconut rolls, for the Chinese New Year. The recipe is gluten-free naturally and is an easy recipe to follow for all to enjoy. You don’t need the mould to achieve this recipe, and although it may not look as traditional, it will show off your effort and personal touch to your CNY goodies spread. All you need for this recipe will be a waffle cone maker if you want to make the rolls version, if not, you can also go for the folded version which looks equally as nice, (and in our opinion, easier to eat).
While big-ticket items like pineapple tarts, kueh lapis and bak kwa are the ultimate crowd pleasers, your Chinese New Year spread isn’t complete without Love Letters.
What is kuih kapit?
The Malay word Kuih Kapit, which means squeezed cookie, is also known as Love Letter. It’s essentially a super light waffle/pancake sandwiched/squeezed between two metal molds. People in countries like Malaysia and Singapore eat it around Chinese New Year.
Ingredients You Will Need:
- 1 Large Egg, 55 – 58 grams with the shell
- 80 grams granulated sugar, 6 ⅓ Tablespoon
- 110 grams tapioca starch, 6 ⅓ Tablespoon + ¼ Tablespoon
- 3 Grams Rice Flour, 1 Tablespoon
- ¼ Teaspoon salt
- 200 ml coconut milk, ¾ Cup
- 1 Tablespoon Black Sesame Seeds
Optional: ¼ Teaspoon Panda extract & ¼ Teaspoon Ube Extract
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs and sugar. Stir until the sugar is completely dissolved. Combine tapioca starch, rice flour, and salt in a separate bowl. To combine the ingredients, whisk them together. Pour in the egg mixture and toss in the coconut milk until you have a smooth batter. Stir in the black sesame seeds until they are evenly distributed.
- Based on preference, you can divide the batter into three portions. Add pandan extract on one and ube extract on the other. (Skip this step if you do not wish to add the pandan or ube extract)
Baking for folded version of Love Letters:
- Preheat the waffle cone maker, krumkake iron, or krumkake baker according to the manufacturer’s instructions. Preheat for 1 minute on each side over medium heat. Reduce the heat to a low setting. Pour about 3/4 tsp of batter, or roughly 1 Tablespoon, into the waffle cone maker. Close the lid gently so that it does not splash. Cook for 10 seconds on one side, then flip and cook for another 10 seconds, then flip and cook for another 10 seconds, then flip and cook for another 10 seconds. 4 times in total. It should be slightly golden brown when you open it to inspect it. Cook for a few seconds longer if it’s still very pale and sticky, then check again.
- Repeat with the rest of the batter and make sure to give the batter a good stir before scooping it onto the waffle cone maker.
- Simply fold in half with a spatula, slightly flatten, fold again, flatten, and lift it up from the maker. If you want them to look nice, you can also use kitchen scissors to snip off the excess crust on the outer border.
For roll version of Love Letters:
- Roll it up with one hand using a round long handle of a wooden spatula, about 1/2-inch in diameter, or a pair of chopsticks, while the other hand uses a spatula to help roll it forward while it’s still warm. Allow to cool entirely on a cooling rack.
Allow them to cool completely before serving, and they will be extremely crispy. They’ll stay crispy for weeks if you store them in an airtight container.
It might take a few tries to completely get the hang of it, but the results will definitely be worth it. You’ll be left with extremely crispy, light and airy Love Letters that can be shared among your friends and family.
If you’d like to purchase premium love letters, we have got your covered. If you want something a little extra, we also have Premium Chocolate & Peanut Butter Love Letters, Premium Seaweed Chicken Floss Love Letter and Premium Chocolate Waffle Love Letters, all just a click away. Check out our website at CNY Goodies Singapore for other varieties of addictive goodies such as pineapple tarts and kuih bangkit.
We wish you all the best in perfecting your Love Letters baking and we hope you have a prosperous Chinese New Year celebration ahead!